Botulism is a rare but serious paralytic illness caused by a nerve toxin produced by a Clostridium strain, most often Clostridium botulinum. The paper presents the case of a 13-year-old girl admitted to our Paediatric Department with double vision and difficult swallowing, rapidly accompanied by palpebral ptosis and slurred speech. Symptoms were typical of muscle paralysis and the history reported consumption of home-canned peppers. Although microbiological tests were negative, clinical manifestation suggested foodborne botulism thus the treatment with ABE anti-botulinum toxin was effective.
Vuoi citare questo contributo?
L'accesso è riservato agli abbonati
alla rivista che si siano registrati.
Per accedere all'articolo in formato full text è necessario inserire username e password.
Puoi accedere all'articolo abbonandoti alla rivista (link).
Per acquistare l'articolo contattare la redazione all'indirizzo email@example.com.