Botulism is a rare but serious paralytic illness caused
by a nerve toxin produced by a Clostridium strain, most often
Clostridium botulinum. The paper presents the case of a 13-
year-old girl admitted to our Paediatric Department with double
vision and difficult swallowing, rapidly accompanied by palpebral
ptosis and slurred speech. Symptoms were typical of muscle
paralysis and the history reported consumption of homecanned
peppers. Although microbiological tests were negative,
clinical manifestation suggested foodborne botulism thus the
treatment with ABE anti-botulinum toxin was effective.
Vuoi citare questo contributo?
L'accesso è riservato agli abbonati
alla rivista che si siano registrati.
Per accedere all'articolo in formato full text è necessario inserire username e password.
L'immissione di nuovi contenuti è riservata ai soli utenti registrati